The Nigerian entertainment industry is at the top of its game right now in no particular order. Collaborations with foreign acts make us realise even more that our indigenous musicians are one to look out for, probably bagging Grammys one day.
These are the top ten most successful and bankable musicians in Nigeria
2Face Ujah Idibia
- 2Face:the benue superstar whose real name is Innocent Ujah Idibia has numerous awards and successful albums to his name. He is one of the most decorated and successful afro-pop artists in Africa. He is also one of the most bankable artists in Africa. The 40year old musician is loved worldwide for his consistency in music and has also being known to be very humble. It is said that other musicians have fans but 2Face Idibia has lovers.
- Dbanj:also known as the Kokomaster, Oladapo Daniel Oyebanjo is a Nigerian singer, songwriter and businessman who has won several music awards, including the awards for Best African Act at the MTV Europe Music Awards 2007, Artist of the Year at the MTV Africa Music Awards 2009, Best International Act: Africa at the 2011 BET Awards and Best-selling African Artist at the 2014 World Music Awards just to mention a few. D’banj was signed to Kanye West’s G.O.O.D Music record label as artiste in 2011 and has had several endorsement deals with Glo, Heritage bank and SLOT since then.
- P-Square:Peter and Paul together called P-square are twin brothers who broke into the nigerian entertainment industry as far back as 2003. These two are celebrated all over africa, have sold out tours and have been Glo ambassadors for the longest time with a mouth watering sum which was undisclosed. Together they’ve won the MOBO awards, BET, MAMA awards and many others.
- Wizkid:in 2010 wizkid stole the hearts of many nigerians when he released the single Holla at your boy. The youngstar went on to release more chart topping singles like Tease me and Don’t dull. He broke many hearts when a young undergraduate claimed to be pregnant for him. Wizkid’s ojueleba which was widely acclaimed was praised by many acts including drake who then went on to make a remix with him and fellow nigerian act skepta.
- Davido:This O.B.O (Omo Baba Olowo) was a new kid on the block in 2010 when he released his single Back when with Naeto C. He was 19years old at the time. He’s since released singles and had collabos with foreign acts like Meek Mill, Uhuru and Mafikizolo.
- Tiwa Savage:pretty, sexy tiwa savage is a sight to behold. Ever since she entered the Nigerian music scene she’s captured the hearts of many entertainers who have openly admitted to having crushes on her. She was formerly a backup singer for Mary J Blige. As a singer, her achievements include one MTV Africa Music Award, two The Headies Awards, one Channel O Music Video Award, one Nigeria Music Video Award, and two City People Entertainment Awards, among others.
- Olamide:In 2012, he started his own record label YBNL Nation. Baddosneh as he is self regarded. His music recieves massive airplay nationwide. In 2013, Olamide became the first Nigerian to sign an endorsement deal with Cîroc. Himself alongside Ice Prince are ambassadors for Guinness. He is one artiste you can always bank on, once he’s on stage, he kills anyshow and make fans realize the worth of their money. He is in a world of his own.
- Asa:Nigerian French singer, songwriter, and recording artist. Her stage name “Aṣa” This talented songstress charmed us with Jailer back in 2009. Since then, she has become a household name.
- MI:nicknamed Mr Incredible, he is indisputably the best rapper in the ( my opinion of course). With successful albums like
He is the current CEO of the Chocolate City Music Label. He has won several awards including the MTV Africa Music Awards 2009. In 2010, he was nominated for Best International Act category at the BET Awards. He rose to prominence in 2006 when his song “Crowd Mentality” became popular in his hometown of Jos and that was what kick started his career.
- Flavour:Mr N’abania who has become one of the fastest rising acts in the industry. Flavour is popularly known across Africa and the world for his hit song “Nwa Baby (Ashawo Remix)”. He is currently signed to 2nite Entertainment.